I did a survey recently with my clients asking them about their snacking habits, what they snacked on….the good and the bad. The most popular snacks were; chocolate, fruit, rice crackers and yoghurt. Chocolate aside these are great snack options BUT only if you are eating the right kinds. Let me explain…..
Rice crackers…..so much variety, so many flavours…..let me stop you there, most that are flavoured are going to be high in salt and most likely contain flavour enhancers. The best rice crackers to go for are a plain version. The same with rice cakes – sour cream and chives is loaded with MSG. Fruit, you should stick with 2 pieces a day. Yoghurt….if it contains gelatine and thickeners, it is NOT yoghurt. Yoghurt is a fermented milk product and should have minimal ingredients (milk and cultures). Try for a natural pot set yoghurt.
Not everyone needs to snack. Snacking works well for those who find they crash in the afternoon and need a little pep up. When it comes to having a snack, ask yourself:
- How far away is lunch or dinner…..can I wait another hour?
- Am I really hungry or just bored?
- Am I comfort eating?
- How much water have I drunk today…..could I just be thirsty?
- Did my breakfast or lunch have the right amount of carbs, fats and protein to keep me sustained?
Don’t forget, it’s just a snack. It shouldn’t fill you up, it should just tie you over until your next meal.
5 quick and easy snacks to start eating today!
- Small handful of raw and unsalted nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds)
- Hummus with plain rice crackers and vegetable sticks
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of natural yogurt with a piece of fruit
- A mug of homemade veggie soup
- Something sweet…..try my Chocolate Nutty Balls
If you find that snacking is a downfall in your diet, let me help you out! Come along to my Eating for Energy – Cooking and Nutritional Workshop to work out which snacks are best for you.