In this cold weather, you need comfort food. Look no further than this hearty chicken soup.
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp ground turmeric
½ – 1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
500gm chicken thigh fillets
1 can green lentils
1 litre chicken stock/broth
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 bunch English spinach, torn into smaller pieces
½ cup natural yoghurt
½ bunch coriander
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan/pot, add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add spices and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Add chicken thighs and cook 3 minutes each side.
- Add lentils, stock, tomatoes, carrot, celery and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add spinach for last two minutes.
- Remove chicken thighs and with a fork shred the meat into smaller pieces and add back to pot.
- Serve in bowls and top with natural yoghurt and chopped coriander