Who doesn’t love a hot cross bun? If you are up to making them from scratch – check out this recipe
We use wholemeal spelt flour for this recipe. What is Spelt? It’s an acient grain orgianlly used in bread making. It does contain gluten but lower levels than wheat. Spelt is high in fibre, protein and B vitamins.
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1 tbsp rice syrup or coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean extract
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 free range egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup of raisins and currants (or your favourite dried fruit)
- Combine spelt flour, cinnamon, all spice, yeast and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl.
- Warm the milk, vanilla and rice syrup just a little until it is luke warm (about 15 seconds), then pour into the mixing bowl along with the egg and oil.
- Mix the dough for about 6 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Add the dried fruits, orange zest and mix through.
- Cover the bowl with a clean cloth or glad wrap and leave the dough to double in size in a warm place for about 1 hour
- Knock back the dough and tip in onto your working bench. Knead a little then shape into 8 rolls
- Cover lightly and allow to rise for another 30 minutes or until double in size again.
- Preheat oven to 160 C
- Make flour paste: Mix flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if paste is too thick. Spoon into a small snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner of bag. Pipe flour paste over tops of buns to form crosses
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden